[oi-dev] OI Hipster 2018.10 snapshot
Alexander Pyhalov via oi-dev
2018-10-24 06:31:48 UTC
Hi.

OI Hipster 2018.10 snapshot is ready.

Images:

http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20181023/OI-hipster-gui-20181023.iso
http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20181023/OI-hipster-gui-20181023.usb

http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20181023/OI-hipster-text-20181023.iso
http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20181023/OI-hipster-text-20181023.usb

http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20181023/OI-hipster-minimal-20181023.iso
http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20181023/OI-hipster-minimal-20181023.usb

SHA 256 checksums are available at ${link}.sha256sum
Signed SHA 256 checksums are available at ${link}.sha256sum.asc
The OpenIndiana Release Engineering key has key id 0x3a021afadbe31887 (
https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3A021AFADBE31887 ).

Release notes: http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/2018.10+Release+notes

Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,
John Howard
2018-10-31 03:33:47 UTC
The USB files should be compressed for downloads to save gigabytes of
bandwidth. On an individual basis it amounts to hundreds of megabytes and
time saved for each person downloading. I am not interested in arguments
about which compression alg. to use because currently there is NO
COMPRESSION. Obviously compress them to save time for the people that
download these files, and for the people that extract the contents. Zip's
alg. are good enough and Zip is faster than bzip or lzma variants. Use
gzip if you want. Something is better than nothing.

Till Wegmüller
2018-10-31 07:34:56 UTC
Hi

They actually are already compressed. Just not wrapped into a compressed
archive. Both the USB and ISO files are just a container for the
compressed files. for e.g. solaris.zlib or the Boot Archive. These
Compressed files will be decompressed on load by the Boot loader or OS
respectively.

Greetings
Till
Volker A. Brandt
2018-10-31 09:17:12 UTC
Post by John Howard
The USB files should be compressed for downloads to save gigabytes of
bandwidth.
I just did a test on the .usb files using pbzip2:

OI-hipster-gui-20181023.usb 1.9G
OI-hipster-gui-20181023.usb.bz2 1.5G

OI-hipster-minimal-20181023.usb 486M
OI-hipster-minimal-20181023.usb.bz2 360M

OI-hipster-text-20181023.usb 845M
OI-hipster-text-20181023.usb.bz2 661M

John is absolutely right. The numbers speak for themselves. :-)

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH WWW: http://www.bb-c.de/
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY Email: ***@bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513 Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"
Bob Friesenhahn
2018-10-31 15:15:12 UTC
Post by Volker A. Brandt
John is absolutely right. The numbers speak for themselves. :-)
I see only relatively small compression gains so the content must be
partially compressed already, or does not compress well.

Lzma type compression (e.g from xz, lzip, or 7z) will do better than
zip for this purpose.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
***@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
GraphicsMagick Maintainer, http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/
Peter Tribble
2018-10-31 15:28:22 UTC
On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 3:15 PM Bob Friesenhahn <
Post by Bob Friesenhahn
Post by Volker A. Brandt
John is absolutely right. The numbers speak for themselves. :-)
I see only relatively small compression gains so the content must be
partially compressed already, or does not compress well.
If you look at the numbers, then the compressed sizes of the USB images are
essentially the same as the ISO images.

The reason is quite simple: the content is the same in both cases, and is
compressed
already. The USB image, however, has a reasonable amount of padding - and
the padding
compresses away almost completely.
--
-Peter Tribble
Volker A. Brandt
2018-10-31 21:01:00 UTC
Post by Bob Friesenhahn
Post by Volker A. Brandt
John is absolutely right. The numbers speak for themselves. :-)
I see only relatively small compression gains so the content must be
partially compressed already, or does not compress well.
Well, >100 MB per file seems not so small to me. As others have
pointed out, the files themselves are compressed already, but the
USB format has some fluff.
Post by Bob Friesenhahn
Lzma type compression (e.g from xz, lzip, or 7z) will do better than
zip for this purpose.
Note that I used bzip2. Not everyone has xz or 7z around. The format
does not really matter in the end, as the relative gains per format are
indeed small.

g***@comcast.net

Bob Friesenhahn
2018-10-31 15:39:32 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
It is hard to compare compression savings without specifying the
data set used.The Silesia or Calgary corpus could be used as the
reference set. Both the compressibility ratio and the compression
performance is highly data content dependent.
In this case the "corpus" is quite well defined, and in fact
has already been enumerated in a prior email.

The value obtained can be easily verified.

Bob